Thursday, November 19, 2015

Follow up on Birds and Mushrooms (not plants)

Cattle Egret / Aiea Heights / November 2015



In this just past week, since I had a lot of pertinent sightings of past topics, I decided to just do a quick follow up, with photos, to show what was mentioned in earlier blogs about birds (November 12, 2015) and mushrooms (November 5, 2015). 

I was out for a run both times so it is the old-not-too-high-quality iPhone photo. Be sure to read to the end to see the mushroom photos!

I saw an Egret right in a housing complex near my house; I had never seen one so close to home before. Maybe someday I will see one in my yard!






Black-crowned Night Heron / Ala Moana Beach Park / November 2015

I sighted a number of the Heron sitting by a fisherman near the canal as I mentioned in an earlier blog. (I didn’t want to include the fisherman as I don’t like to take and post photos without someone’s permission.) 


But one of my questions was answered; I saw the fisherman throw his fish to the birds! Two of them flew off together and fought over it. The photo I took of them did not come out. 


So there those Herons sit, on the canal’s edge, with their hunched shoulders waiting for handouts. 

Like so many of our birds in Hawaii, they have adapted to the human presence and as mentioned in my first blog, unfortunately will become dangerously domesticated to getting fed by humans.



Mushrooms / Moanalua Valley / November 2015


While setting out for a run in Moanalua Valley, I sighted this mushroom sprouted alongside the road. I could not believe its size! I remembered to include my hand for size comparison. I have never seen such a large mushroom; the crown was bent over because it was too large! 


Later I saw a row of what seemed to be the same type of mushroom on a lawn farther up the valley. It is almost like what they call "fairy circles." But of course it is not a circle. Does it denote a wind pattern?
Mushrooms / Moanalua Valley / November 2015




So mushrooms seem to also vary by neighborhood. That makes sense since the spores are so tiny and could not travel too far. I noticed this too near my house as farther down from my street there were smaller much whiter mushrooms. 






Mushrooms / Aiea Heights / October 2015


Some of my earlier questions were partially answered (November 5, 2015) as about a month later, more mushrooms appeared on the very same lawn, almost in the same exact spot. So spores could last at least a month. Also, across the street from that lawn, I also saw what seemed to be the same mushrooms.




Please go to my NATURE - TRAVELING page (accessed on the sidebar) for some interesting beach sightings of Cnidaria. There, I will begin the subtopic of What is this? This is when there is such an interesting sighting, I have to wonder what happened or why did this happen. I briefly touched on that with my earlier mushroom blog (November 5, 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment