Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hawaii Haze

Recently in Hawaii, our weather has not been the usual winter weather. It has not been blissfully breezy with clear blue skies. There has been an oppressive haze over Oahu for nearly a week. (Notice how much worse the haze was on January 27!)
Honolulu / from my porch / January 27, 2016 

Honolulu / from my porch / January 28, 2016
It is our own special type of natural pollution, with its own local name of vog, making an appearance. 

I hope, but am not completely sure that the haze is actually only from our very active volcano on the Big Island and not other forms of industrial pollution! 

Diamond Head / from my porch / January 28, 2016 
Pearl Harbor / from Aiea Heights / January 28, 2016

On a daily basis in Hawaii, we are normally spoiled by perpetually clear and blue skies maintained by our trade winds. The trade winds we feel are affected by the conformation of our islands and the cooling and heating of our land and the water around us. I did not realize that trade winds are a Pacific Ocean effect not a Hawaii effect! Explanation about our trade winds  Another situation of my questions, and then research, letting me learn something new!

What struck me as odd the other day was after the weather man said we would have no “trades” for three to four days, the curtains in the window, with the great view of Diamond Head, were blowing continuously! Why was their such a wind if there were no trade winds? After much thought and after filming the wonderful wind, I realized I was witnessing what caused the fog haze, the famous Kona winds! 

Wind effect / from my porch / January 27, 2016 

As I thought more about a map of Oahu and where I live, I realized the curtained window is a southeast facing window. If you look at the Hawaiian Islands mapDiamond Head is practically directly lined up with the Big Island. And all this time, for driving purposes, I have had a mantra of “Diamond Head is East;” it actually is in a more southeasterly direction.

The weather man wasn’t wrong. There are no trade winds but luckily the other prevalent type of winds experienced on Oahu, Kona winds, are occurring. As usual, my wondering and questioning, led me to see two sources of evidence of a meteorological phenomenon which I have heard about for years! And in the process, understand the effect of Kona winds a little more clearly. 

Wind effect / from my porch / January 27, 2016


It is ironic but it seems that the winds which bring the vog are giving us some relief from warmer temperatures which could make the hanging Hawaii haze even more oppressive!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the vog, you can see that your view is a really nice one!

    ReplyDelete