Thursday, October 8, 2015

Still Favorite Birds

The weather holds in a cooling fashion! This is the idyllic weather I am used to in Hawaii, especially at my home which is higher in the hills with bright blue sky and fluffy cloud in layers above. There was actually a slight chill (for Hawaii) in the air when I opened the front door!

Morning definitely is a good time to sight birds. On October 5, I was able to spot the elusive female Northern red cardinal. The photos did not come out as well as I hoped but here are a few if some of you have not been able to see a female. In her plain appearance, she still has a catchy look about her; the coloring in the eyes and beak area are nearly the same. Of course, nothing to compare with the vibrant red of her mate with black outlined eyes and beak. 
Northern Red Cardinal (female) on wall / tree in my neighbor’s yard / October 2015



When I was first photo hunting the male, I had a feeling there were two birds flitting away. I think the male and female give the same short chirp as they fly from here to there. So I was thrilled to run to the window at the sound of that chirp and to see a female nearly in the same location. The cardinal pair apparently are eating the strawberry guava in my neighbor’s tree. 

Please go to the NATURE - AT HOME page (accessed in the sidebar) for the story of the Pacific Golden-Plover in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment