Sunday, December 27, 2015

A Christmas plant in glorious Christmas color!

MISSED MY POST DATE - excitement of the holidays! Hope you had a good one!
Merry Christmas Eve!

Couldn’t go past this gorgeous Poinsettia plant just down the street without taking a photo. In the over twenty years of living on my street, I have watched this Poinsettia plant go from a tiny two-to three bloom plant to this huge, vibrant, magnificent multi-bloom bush! I thought it would be a perfect photo for a Christmas Eve post. There is something more vibrant about the red, in the sun, against the blue sky.
Poinsettia / in neighbor's yard / November 2015
Growing up in San Diego, I am used to seeing Poinsettia in neighborhood yards. Although throughout Southern California and Hawaii, I have never seen a Poinsettia bush (tree!) as lovely as this! With this plant as a model, I have tried to grow potted Poinsettia that were received as gifts. I am sad that I have not ever had success in growing any.

Some things I already know about Poinsettia:
1) While growing up, there were a number of large nurseries for Poinsettia (in greenhouses) outside of San Diego.
2) Poinsettia exude a milky sap when leaves / stems are broken. Milky saps can cause allergic reactions in some people, like my husband.
3) The red “petals” are not petals but bracts. Definition of bract The actual flower is the tiny yellow florescence in the middle of the large red (or pink or white) “petals.”
4) The plant originates from Mexico.
Other facts can be found (and confirmed) here: Facts about Poinsettia

Merry Christmas to all that celebrate this joyous holiday! 
Best wishes of peace and the celebration of life to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment