Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Lizards Lounging (and other activities!)


Brown Anole with gecko prey / Aiea Heights, HI / October 2015

I don’t really like lizards, perhaps because of their similarity to dinosaurs, but they are very interesting to observe. ( I do know there is debate whether 
dinosaurs were reptiles or not. )



In a much earlier post (on a page accessed on the side of my blog [NATURE - AT HOME October 29, 2015 Brown Anole]), I wrote about how I have recently noticed more Brown Anoles than Green Anoles around my yard. I much prefer the Green Anole as the Brown Anoles are bold and even aggressive. 


Brown Anole with gecko prey / Aiea Heights, HI / October 2015

These photographs from that post show the Brown Anole aggression. I recently read an article that made me think twice about the lizard’s aggressive behaviors; it is in the construction of their brain!






The Brown Anole are so bold, once I found a small Brown Anole on my side porch and when I tried to chase it away, it jumped closer to me onto shoes that were there! 

Brown Anoles / Aiea library fence, HI / November 2016

There are also great numbers of Brown Anoles. They are on the plants, rocks, pathways, benches, grass, and even symmetrically on a fence! (This shows evidence of their territoriality.)
Brown Anole / Aiea library fence, HI / November 2016














Brown Anoles / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016

Here are some "mini-dinosaurs" (Brown Anoles) ready to battle.
I guess I was too close as the fight did not ever occur. 


Brown Anoles / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016








Or perhaps the lizards were too evenly matched so they just displayed and parted in a “draw.” Animals do have certain “rules” about fighting. Source on fighting 1 & Source on fighting 2

Brown Anole / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016

Brown Anole / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016
Lizards primarily attract my attention due to their interesting coloring and how the coloring can change! These photos were taken a few minutes apart - after some rain!





Lizards also walk in a unique way as their legs are so flat to the ground and at near right angles to their body. Lizards also behave in extremes. A lizard could be very still in a pose on a rock or plant. Or as you approach, a lizard could scuttle across the path in front of you or swiftly disappear to the other side of a leaf or branch. 
Green Anole / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016

Green Anole / Aiea Heights, HI / February 2016

Green Anole / Aiea Heights, HI / April 2016














This year, I have been lucky to find some Green Anoles although further from my doorway and higher on plants. I am not sure why one of the Green Anoles was in “brown” coloring as opposed to green as it sits on the green leaves.


Gold dust Day Gecko / Waimea Falls Park, HI / February 2016





If you are lucky, you can also find some different types of Geckos ( Identification ) besides the simple, cheerful (but messy) House Gecko. So continue to "watch out for nature," and look for animals that you may not be especially happy to see!









1 comment:

  1. The photos that show the color change after the rain are remarkable! I kept flipping back and forth between the two to notice the obvious change! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete